As someone who is engaged with environmental issues, it seems obvious to me that we need to make relevant ideas and concepts from environmental affairs accessible and understandable to the concerned public. In that sense, I try to bridge between academia and motivated citizens and organizations.
I am available to speak or give workshops on the following topics:
- Environmental issues and problems in general
- Environmental thought, ethics, and values
- The challenge of sustainability
- Climate disruption / global warming / climate change in general and its communication
- Environmental communication in general
- Environmental policy in general
- Mass media and the environment, including
- News coverage of environmental affairs
- News coverage of climate disruption / global warming / climate change
- Popular culture and the environment
- Environmental advertising
- Environmental films
Examples of my invited professional talks:
- “Talking Like a Mountain: Climate, Nature and the Futures We Represent.” Keynote speaker, Undergraduate Communication Research Conference, St. Thomas University, St. Paul, MN, 2019.
- “The Role of Communication in Transitioning to a Culture that Supports Sustainability.” Keynote speaker, Sustainability Week, St. Thomas University, St. Paul, MN, 2019.
- “The Challenges for Climate Communication Post-COP21.” Keynote speaker, The 2nd ICOS Science Conference on greenhouse gases and biogeochemical cycles, Helsinki, 2016.
- “Teaching Environmental Communication Online.” Environmental Communication Pedagogy and Practice pre-conference, National Communication Association Convention, Chicago, 2014.
- “The Complexity of Communicating EcoHealth.” EcoHealth 2014: Connections for Health, Ecosystems and Society, Université du Québec à Montréal, Montréal, 2014.
- “Challenging Environmental Visual Communication,” Torrent2013, Fleming College Environmental Visual Communication program gala, Royal Ontario Museum, Toronto, 2013.
- “Visualizing Nature and Environmental Issues,” IGERT Seminar, University of Puerto Rico-Río Piedras, San Juan, Puerto Rico, 2013.
- “Possible roles for environmental communicators in the face of climate change denial,” Royal Roads University, Victoria, BC, 2012.
- “Environmental Communication and Public Change Strategies,” WWF Conservation Communications Network Initiatives Workshop, WWF International secretariat, Gland, Switzerland, 2010.
- “Environmental Problem Posing and Communication,” 2010 Environmental Communication Symposium, University of Maine, Orono, 2010.
- “Issues in Climate Change Communication,” Second Annual Public Diplomacy Symposium, Maxwell School of Citizenship, Syracuse University, Syracuse, NY, 2009.
- “Media Lessons from the Environmental Movement,” Using Communication Approaches and Techniques to Support Anti-Corruption Efforts, United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime and the World Bank’s Communication for Governance & Accountability Program, Vienna International Centre (United Nations Headquarters), Vienna, Austria, 2008.
- “Domesticating Nature in the Media Landscape,” Colloquium Series, Department of Geography, Syracuse University, Syracuse, NY, 2008.
- “Mediating Nature in the Age of Hyper-Consumerism,” Colgate University, Hamilton, NY, 2008.
“The Paradox of the Mediated Environment,” Counterpublics, Media and Social Change – Kern Communication Symposium, Rochester Institute of Technology, Rochester, NY, 2007.
- “The Western Media System’s Obstacles to, and Opportunities for, Promoting Ecological Health,” People and the Environment: Public Health, Social Processes and Ecological Systems, Moscow State University, Moscow, Russia, 2004.
- “Choosing Sustainability for U.P.E.I.: Campus, Curriculum, Culture & Community,” University of Prince Edward Island, Charlottetown, PEI, 2004.
- “Representing Nature: Environmental Ideologies, Problems, and Politics in the Canadian Media,” Social Sciences and the Environment, Social Science Federation of Canada, Ottawa, ON, 1994.
Examples of outreach presentations I have been invited to give:
- “The Significance of Media Images of Nature,” Habitat Gardening in Central New York, 2011.
- Post-Screening Discussion Panelist, Sizzle: A Global Warming Comedy, 2010
- Panelist, State of the Planet forum, 2009.
- Environmental Art discussion video, 2009.
- “The Fastest Food of All,” fast:slow food: a casual conversation, School of Architecture, Syracuse University, 2009.
- “How the Media Portray Climate Change and Possible Responses to It,” Focus the Nation, 2008.
- Post-Screening Discussion Panelist, An Inconvenient Truth, Syracuse University, 2007.
- Post-Screening Discussion Panelist, Out of Balance: ExxonMobil’s Impact on Climate Change, Sierra Club Film Festival, 2007.
- “Native Issues in the Media,” Environmental Stewardship: Finding Common Ground, 2006.
- Facilitator and discussion leader, Seventh Annual Finger Lakes Environmental Film Festival, screening of Butterfly, 2003.