A big part of my program is to make relevant ideas and concepts from environmental affairs accessible and understandable to the concerned public. In a sense, I am trying to bridge between academia and motivated citizens and organizations.
I am available to speak, give workshops, and teach courses on the following topics:
- Environmental issues and problems in general
- Environmental thought, ethics, and values
- The challenge of sustainability
- Climate disruption / global warming / climate change in general and its communication
- Environmental communication in general
- Environmental policy in general
- Mass media and the environment, including
- News coverage of environmental affairs
- News coverage of climate disruption / global warming / climate change
- Popular culture and the environment
- Environmental advertising
- Environmental films
Examples of my invited professional talks:
- “Challenging Environmental Visual Communication,” Torrent2013, Fleming College Environmental Visual Communication program gala, Royal Ontario Museum, Toronto, 2013.
- “Visualizing Nature and Environmental Issues,” IGERT Seminar, University of Puerto Rico-Río Piedras, San Juan, Puerto Rico, 2013.
- “Possible roles for environmental communicators in the face of climate change denial,” Royal Roads University, Victoria, BC, 2012.
- “Environmental Communication and Public Change Strategies,” WWF Conservation Communications Network Initiatives Workshop, WWF International secretariat, Gland, Switzerland, 2010.
- “Environmental Problem Posing and Communication,” 2010 Environmental Communication Symposium, University of Maine, Orono, 2010.
- “Issues in Climate Change Communication,” Second Annual Public Diplomacy Symposium, Maxwell School of Citizenship, Syracuse University, Syracuse, NY, 2009.
- “Media Lessons from the Environmental Movement,” Using Communication Approaches and Techniques to Support Anti-Corruption Efforts, United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime and the World Bank’s Communication for Governance & Accountability Program, Vienna International Centre (United Nations Headquarters), Vienna, Austria, 2008.
- “Domesticating Nature in the Media Landscape,” Colloquium Series, Department of Geography, Syracuse University, Syracuse, NY, 2008.
- “Mediating Nature in the Age of Hyper-Consumerism,” Colgate University, Hamilton, NY, 2008.
“The Paradox of the Mediated Environment,” Counterpublics, Media and Social Change – Kern Communication Symposium, Rochester Institute of Technology, Rochester, NY, 2007.
- “The Western Media System’s Obstacles to, and Opportunities for, Promoting Ecological Health,” People and the Environment: Public Health, Social Processes and Ecological Systems, Moscow State University, Moscow, Russia, 2004.
- “Choosing Sustainability for U.P.E.I.: Campus, Curriculum, Culture & Community,” University of Prince Edward Island, Charlottetown, PEI, 2004.
- “Representing Nature: Environmental Ideologies, Problems, and Politics in the Canadian Media,” Social Sciences and the Environment, Social Science Federation of Canada, Ottawa, ON, 1994.
Examples of outreach presentations appearances I have been invited to give:
- “The Significance of Media Images of Nature,” Habitat Gardening in Central New York, 2011.
- Post-Screening Discussion Panelist, Sizzle: A Global Warming Comedy, 2010
- Panelist, State of the Planet forum, 2009.
- Environmental Art discussion video, 2009.
- “The Fastest Food of All,” fast:slow food: a casual conversation, School of Architecture, Syracuse University, 2009.
- “How the Media Portray Climate Change and Possible Responses to It,” Focus the Nation, 2008.
- Post-Screening Discussion Panelist, An Inconvenient Truth, Syracuse University, 2007.
- Post-Screening Discussion Panelist, Out of Balance: ExxonMobil’s Impact on Climate Change, Sierra Club Film Festival, 2007.
- “Native Issues in the Media,” Environmental Stewardship: Finding Common Ground, 2006.
- Facilitator and discussion leader, Seventh Annual Finger Lakes Environmental Film Festival, screening of Butterfly, 2003.